Grace Baptist Church had its beginning as a Sunday School held in the old Tileville Schoolhouse located on North Cole St. in 1923. In 1924, a church was erected on the corner of Delaware and Center Streets and became known as Homewood Baptist Church. The church became affiliated with GARBC in 1946.
The Lord blessed the ministry and by 1962 there was a need for a larger facility. With the pending construction of the Jameson St. overpass, which would run through the existing property, thoughts turned to relocation. On October 1, 1962 the membership voted to change the name from Homewood Baptist Church to Grace Baptist Church. In May of 1963 the membership voted to accept the committee’s recommendation to purchase 3 acres on Fett Ave. for $7,500. Ground breaking was in September of 1963 and construction started the following month. There was a pressing need for a place to meet, so on Sunday, March 8, 1964 services were held in the partially completed basement of our present building. Following completion of the church, a dedication service was held on January 3, 1965. Dr. James T. Jeremiah, President of Cedarville College, gave the address. The Lord blessed, financial needs continued to be met, and by God’s grace, in September of 1978 a Mortgage Burning Ceremony was held to recognize the church mortgage debt had been paid in full. Prayers of thanksgiving and testimonies of praise were offered.
In October of 1982 ground was broken on a new addition. The addition provided numerous classrooms, new nursery, additional restroom, new fellowship hall and kitchen upstairs, a large narthex area and a covered entrance.
In the fall of 2004, during our 40th anniversary celebration, ground was broken on a new 10,400 sq. ft. multi-purpose space building. Phase 1 was paid for with $335,000 in cash and a $250,000 mortgage for Phase 2 to finish the building was paid off in September of 2012. Now called The Family Life Center, it includes a large gym with stage, two classrooms, a serving kitchen, restrooms and a large entrance area.
In the fall of 2014 we celebrated 50 years of ministry as Grace Baptist Church at our current location.
3 former Senior Pastors joined our current pastor in this celebration!